If you’ve been reading my posts over the last few weeks, you’ll have noticed I recommend ‘pool shock’ granules over liquid bleach as a surface disinfectant. Many online vendors sell , as do pool and hot tub supply stores.
Pool shock is comparable to bleach when following the same principles for proper dilution and application that you do with bleach. Any disinfectant must sit for at least 10 minutes to fully disinfect the surface you are wanting to sanitize. Like bleach, pool shock is both light and heat sensitive after being diluted. Pool shock must be remade every 24 hours with warm water.
Unlike bleach, pool shock has not been found to be that corrosive to stainless steel or plastic after being diluted. However, the powder is corrosive to anything it has contact with and that the vapors can reach. You want to make sure to store the pool shock powder well and have a warning label on it. Surprisingly, this disinfectant does not have a bleach or chemical like smell to it after it is mixed.
Pool shock is diluted at 1/8 tsp to one gallon of water to equal the same killing power as 6% bleach. Make sure to buy the 78% Calcium Hypochlorite with 22% inert ingredients in the granular formulation. Skip the 60% version. The estimated cost of making a gallon of pool shock is about 5 cents which is much cheaper than bleach.
A spray bottle works fine for household use. Garden type sprayers can be used for larger surfaces. This info was culled from several internet sources, which I deem trustworthy.
FYI: Hand sanitizers are antibacterial and are only somewhat antiviral at alcohol concentrations at or above 60%. Coronavirus is much more sensitive to surfactants such as soap and water due to its phospholipid outer envelop. In a pinch coconut oil might work, due to its lauric acid component.